The Energy Check Site is provided to you free of charge for your personal use subject to these Terms and Conditions. By using The Energy Check Site At The Energy Check, we’re working hard to serve energy customers and offer appropriate services and information. Looking after the personal data you share with us is a hugely important part of this. We want you to be confident that your data is safe and secure with us and understand how we use it to offer you a better and more personalised service you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS DO NOT AFFECT YOUR STATUTORY RIGHTS.
What This Policy Covers
The data controller is The Energy Checking Company Limited (“ The Energy Check”) (referred to in this policy as “we” or “us”). We are committed to doing the right thing when it comes to how we collect, use and protect your personal data. That’s why we’ve developed this privacy and cookies policy (“Policy”), which:
- sets out the types of personal data that we collect
- explains how and why we collect and use your personal data
- explains when and why we will share personal data within The Energy Check Group, Our Partners and with other organisations; and
- explains the rights and choices you have when it comes to your personal data
We offer a wide range of products and services, so we want you to be clear about what this Policy covers. This Policy applies to you if you use our services (referred to in this Policy as “our Services”). Using our Services means:
- Communicating with us over the phone, or online or otherwise using any of the websites (“our Websites”) or mobile applications (“our Mobile Apps”) where this Policy is posted; or
- Being a Partner organisation of The Energy Check.
- This Policy also applies if you contact us or we contact you about our Services.
Personal Data We Collect
This section tells you what personal data we may collect from you when you use our Services and what other personal data we may receive from other sources.
When you register for our Services, you may provide us with:
- Your personal details, including your full name, business postal and business billing addresses, business email addresses, phone numbers and title.
- Your account login details, such as your username and the password that you have chosen
When you browse our Websites or use our Mobile Apps, we may collect:
- Information about your online browsing behaviour on our Websites and Mobile Apps and information about when you click on one of our adverts (including those shown on other organisations’ websites)
- Information about any devices you have used to access our Services (including the make, model and operating system, IP address, browser type and mobile device identifiers)
When you contact us or we contact you or you take part in promotions, competitions, surveys or questionnaires about our Services, we may collect:
- Personal data you provide about yourself anytime you contact us about our Services (for example, your name, username and contact details), including by phone, email or post or when you speak with us through social media
- Details of the emails and other digital communications we send to you that you open, including any links in them that you click on
- Your feedback and contributions to customer surveys and questionnaires
How And Why We Use Personal Data
This section explains in detail how and why we use personal data.
We need to process your personal data so that we can manage your customer accounts, provide you with the services you want to buy and help you with any orders you may ask for.
- Manage and improve our day-to-day operations
- Manage and improve our Websites and Mobile Apps
We rely on the use of personal data to carry out market research and internal research and development, and to improve our information technology systems (including security) and our product range and services. This allows us to serve you better as a customer. Detect and prevent fraud or other crime, It is important for us to monitor how our Services are used to detect and prevent fraud, other crimes and the misuse of services. This helps us to make sure that you can safely use our Services.
Provide you with relevant marketing communications (including by email, post or online advertising), relating to our products and services, and those of our suppliers, Our Partners and The Energy Check Group. As part of this, online advertising may be displayed on websites across the Energy Check Group and on other organisations’ websites and online media channels. We may also measure the effectiveness of our marketing communications and those of our suppliers and Our Partners.
We want to ensure that we provide you with marketing communications, including online advertising, that are relevant to your interests. To achieve this we also measure your responses to marketing communications relating to products and services we offer, which also means we can offer you products and services that better meet your needs as a customer. We set out below your choices when it comes to cookies, and how you can control your online behavioural advertising preferences.
Contact And Interact With You
Contact you about our Services, for example by phone, email or post or by responding to social media posts that you have directed at us. We want to serve you better as a customer so we use personal data to provide clarification or assistance in response to your communications. Manage promotions and competitions you take part in, including those we run with our suppliers and Our Partners. We need to process your personal data so that we can manage the promotions and competitions you choose to enter.
Invite you to take part in and manage customer surveys, questionnaires and other market research activities carried out by The Energy Check Group and by other organisations on our behalf.
We carry out market research to improve our Services. However, if we contact you about this, you do not have to take part in the activities. If you tell us that you do not want us to contact you for market research, we will respect this choice.
Sharing Personal Data Within The Energy Check Group
This section explains how and why we share personal data with other companies within The Energy Check Group. We may share the personal data we collect with other companies in the The Energy Check Group.
Sharing Personal Data With Service Providers
This section explains how and why we share personal data with Service Providers. When we share personal data with these companies we require them to keep it safe, and they must not use your personal data for their own marketing purposes.
We work with carefully selected Service Providers that carry out certain functions on our behalf. These include, for example, companies that help us with technology services, storing and combining data, processing payments and delivering our Services. We only share personal data that enable our Service Providers to provide their services.
Sharing Personal Data With Other Organisations
This section explains how and why we share personal data with other organisations. We may share personal data with other organisations in the following circumstances:
- if the law or a public authority says we must share the personal data;
- if we need to share personal data in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights (this includes providing personal data to others for the purposes of preventing fraud and reducing credit risk);
- to an organisation we sell or transfer (or enter into negotiations to sell or transfer) any of our businesses or any of our rights or obligations under any agreement we may have with you to. If the transfer or sale goes ahead, the organisation receiving your personal data can use your personal data in the same way as us;
- to any other successors in title to our business.
How We Protect Personal Data
We know how important it is to protect and manage your personal data. This section sets out some of the measures we have in place.
We use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption, and we enforce physical access controls to our buildings and files to keep this data safe. We only authorise access to employees who need it to carry out their job responsibilities.
- We enforce physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personal data.
- We may occasionally ask for proof of identity before we share your personal data with you.
However, whilst we take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data that you transfer over the internet to us.
The personal data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). It may also be processed by companies operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our service providers. We will put in place appropriate protection to make sure your personal data remains adequately protected and is treated in line with this Policy.
Marketing And Market Research
This section explains the choices you have when it comes to receiving marketing communications and taking part in market research. We will send you relevant offers and news about our products and services in a number of ways including by email, but only if you have previously agreed to receive these marketing communications. When you register with us we will ask if you would like to receive marketing communications, and you can change your marketing choices online, over the phone or in writing at any time.
We also like to hear your views to help us to improve our Services, so we may contact you for market research purposes. You always have the choice about whether to take part in our market research.
Cookies And Similar Technologies
Click Guard working on our site
Clickguard is used on our site, is not used to identify people and is GDPR compliant. Clickguard is used to do the following:
1) Data on persons and bots that click on advertisements served by AdWords on behalf of ClickGUARD’s customers:
- Operating System and OS version
- Browser and Browser version
- IP address and GEO-location information based on the recorded IP address
2) Data on persons and bots that visit ClickGUARD’s customers’ website(s):
- IP address
- Operating System and OS version
- Browser and Browser version
- Time spent on site
- Browser fingerprint (hashed)
Improve the way our Websites and Mobile Apps work
Cookies allow us to improve the way our Websites and Mobile Apps work so that we can personalise your experience and allow you to use many of their useful features.
Improve the performance of our Websites and Mobile Apps
Cookies can help us to understand how our Websites and Mobile Apps are being used, for example, by telling us if you get an error messages as you browse.
These Cookies collect data that is mostly aggregated and anonymous.
Measuring the effectiveness of our marketing communications, including online advertising Cookies can tell us if you have seen a specific advert, and how long it has been since you have seen it. This information allows us to measure the effectiveness of our online advertising campaigns and control the number of times you are shown an advert.
You can use your browser settings to accept or reject new Cookies and to delete existing Cookies. You can also set your browser to notify you each time new Cookies are placed on your computer or other device. You can find more detailed information about how you can manage Cookies at the All About Cookies and Your Online Choices websites.
If you choose to disable some or all Cookies, you may not be able to make full use of our Websites.
Under the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR (EU) 2016/679, you have the right to see the personal data we hold about you. This is called a Subject Access Request.
If you would like a copy of the personal data we hold about you, please write to:
The Compliance Team
The Energy Checking Company
Unit 4, Waverley Business Park,
Or email us at: email@example.com
We want to make sure that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and up to date. If any of the details are incorrect, please let us know and we will amend them.
How To Contact Us
If you have any questions about how we collect, store and use personal data please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org